Government Information and Publications 

Most government publications are on the fourth floor. WISCONSIN COUNTY PLAT BOOKS ARE LOCATED IN THE RESERVES COLLECTION.

This collection includes:

  • publications of the USDA (and its services), the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Services, and other federal agencies that deal with agriculture and the life sciences.
  • publications issued by the University of Wisconsin-Madison Experiment Station and Cooperative Extension Service.
  • publications issued by other states' agricultural experiment stations and extension services.
  • annual agricultural statistics summaries issued by Wisconsin and other states. 
  • publications of the Wisconsin Department of Agriculture, Trade, and Consumer Protection, the Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources, and similar agencies in Wisconsin and other states.
  • publications issued by the Food and Agricultural Organization of the United Nations (FAO).
  • research publications and annual reports issued by some international agricultural organizations (e.g., the International Rice Research Institute, International Potato Center, and International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center [CIMMYT]). 
  • research and statistical publications issued by foreign governmental agencies, universities, and agricultural experiment stations. 

Call Numbers

Items in the documents collection are shelved according to one of five different call number systems, depending on whether the item is federal, state, foreign, FAO, or from an international research agency.

Federal Documents (e.g., A13.2/2: B237) 

  • Letters indicate agency (A = Dept of Agriculture, EP = Environmental Protection Agency)
  • Numbers after letter indicate branch (A1 = USDA, A13 = Forest Service)
  • Numbers after period indicate type of publication
    NOTE: The period is not a decimal point; "I29.4" comes before "I29.27".

State Documents (e.g. RBW7 AC2 C73 261)

  • All begin with "RB" followed by an alphanumeric code for the state. ("RBA4" = Alabama, "RBA5" = Alaska)
  • The second line identifies the publishing agency. ("AA" = Agricultural Experiment Station, "AB" = Agricultural Extension Service, "AC" = University academic departments, "AG" = state departments of agriculture, etc.)

Foreign Documents (e.g. RC, RD)

  • The first line is "RC" or "RD" followed by other letters and numbers

Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) and International Organization Documents (e.g. FAO SS 107 or INT IRRI L89)

  • Begin with "FAO" or "INT" followed by the organization's abbreviation or acronym. 

Documents in Other Formats 

  • Microfiche documents and a reader are located on 1st floor. To print, microfiche must be checked out at the 2nd floor Circulation desk and taken to another campus library (Wendt Engineering Library, Memorial Library).
  • Flat maps from the USDA Forest Service and other agencies are filed in map cases on 1st floor near the west windows. 
  • Current publications and other information from many government agencies are now available through the Internet or other electronic means. Ask at the Steenbock Library Reference Desk for help in accessing this information.