Subject Guides: Agriculture
Invasive Species Management
- Center for Invasive Plant Management, Montana State University
Comprehensive site linking to information regarding invasive plant species, various national and regional (Western United States) concerns and contacts.
- Invasive Species , Bureau of Endangered Resources, Wisconsin DNR
Information regarding native and non-native plants and animals. Links to DNR Technical Bulletins and on-line publications.
- Invasive Plants Association of Wisconsin
Association devoted to promoting responsible stewardship of natural resources by understanding and managing invasive plant species.
Sustainable Agriculture/Community-Supported Agriculture (CSAs)
- Agricultural Alternatives, Penn State Cooperative Extension
Access Agricultural Alternatives--"enterprise fact sheets" containing lists of references, websites, and trade and marketing association information.
- Agricultural Marketing Resource Center
On-line resource created to provide the agricultural sector with information to build successful value-added enterprises. Browsable links by commodity.
- Alternative Farming Systems Information Center (AFSIC), National Agricultural Library
Information site devoted to sustainable agriculture and community supported agricultural programs.
- Center for Integrated Agricultural Systems, UW-Madison
Sustainable agriculture research center dedicated to fostering research programs/agendats that respond to farmer and citizen needs.
- Center for New Crops & Plant Products, Purdue University
Information site dedicated to crop plants, genus/species information, cultivation, educational opportunities, discussion, etc.
- Ecological Agriculture Projects, McGill University
Resource site for locating essential information regarding sustainable agricultural systems. Access to many full-text documents.
Resource for accessing Midwestern, locally-and-sustainably-produced, organic products and producers.
- Leopold Center for Sustainable Agriculture, Iowa State University
Founded in 1987, the Center focuses on marketing and food systems, ecology, and policy in Iowa and the U.S. Access to many full-text documents.
- Madison Area Community Supported Agriculture Coalition (MACSAC)
Online guide to Madison area (Wisconsin) farms and events.
- National Organic Program, USDA
Standards and rules for certified organic foods, including any recommended changes.
- National Sustainable Agriculture Information Service, (ATTRA)
Managed by the National Center for Appropriate Technology, site provides information and technical assistance/outreach to interested practitioners.
- New Farm Options, UW Extension
Information regarding business and educational opportunities to pioneer new farm products in Wisconsin.
- Organic Trade Association
Represents the organic food industry in Canada, Mexico, and the United States.
- REAP Food Group
Madison non-profit dedicated to research, education, action and policy concerns of locally-grown and sustainable foods.
- Sustainable Agriculture Research and Education
Grant and funding information, publications news and education resources for Sustainable Ag and Community Sponsored Agriculture.
Wisconsin Agricultural Resources
Academic Departments, Projects and Initiatives
- AgrAbility of Wisconsin
This partnership between the UWEX Cooperative Extension and Easter Seals Wisconsin provides information and support services to farmers with disabilities and their families.
- Center for Cooperatives
Interdisciplinary center devoted to research and promotion of cooperative action to meet economic and social need.
- Center for Dairy Profitability
- College of Agricultural and Life Sciences Home Page
- Integrated Pest and Crop Management--UW Madison, CALS, UW Extension
Access to news and to information regarding pest and crop management practices and water quality issues.
- Midwest Rural Energy Council
Coordinates education, research and communication programs on significant and emerging rural energy issues. Site provides information regarding stray voltage, energy efficiency and generation, etc.
- Milking Research and Instruction Laboratory, UW-Madison
Center for research and education on machine milking, founded in 1990.
- Program on Agricultural Technology Studies (PATS)
Unit conducts research and offers outreach programs on the impacts of new agricultural technologies and public policies on family farming in Wisconsin.
- Rethinking Dairyland, UW-Madison, Department of Agricultural & Applied Economics
Series of publications supplying background information for making decisions regarding Wisconsin's dairy industry.
- Status of Wisconsin Agriculture, UW-Madison, Department of Agricultural & Applied Economics
- University of Wisconsin Center for Agricultural Safety and Health
Access to statistics on farm fatalities and farm safety, farm safety publications, youth tractor and machinery operation training materials, and extension outreach and research services.
- Wisconsin Center for Dairy Research
- Wisconsin Homegrown Lunch
Partnership between the UW-Madison Center for Integrated Agricultural Systems and the REAP Food Group to help local growers and food-service professionals introduce locally grown products into elementary school cafeterias.
- Savor Wisconsin
Online directory to Wisconsin Farm Markets, food and agricultural products.
- State of Wisconsin
Information server for Wisconsin state agencies and departments. Includes State of Wisconsin departmental directories, proposed state budgets, and links to city, county and local government web sites.
- Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources
Information on DNR activities, upcoming events, and news and publications available to the general public.